Here are a couple verses that has been ringing true for me:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2
Look to Jesus. Keep your eyes on Christ. Ever heard that before? I know I have and I know that sometimes that is hard to understand how to do that. I know that it's easy to say to "look to Jesus" but what does that actually mean? I'm not going to pretend like I can see Christ in a concrete sort of way (like He's standing right in front of me right now and I should be able to describe His appearance for the day), but by saying that I even feel sometimes like I am diminishing who God is, as if it is impossible to see Him...which is so very much the opposite of truth.
Yes, it is easy to "see" Christ in my friends because man oh man, I am blessed. It is easy to see Christ's love in the way that He so often blesses me. It is easy to see Christ at school, with my students, and to know how seriously lucky I am to be given His grace.
But I know there are times when I can't see Christ.
Let me tell you when it's hard to see Christ. -->
In my sin.
In my sin.
In my sin.
In my sin. No shock there, right? Of course, I can't see Christ in my sin because Christ doesn't "do" sin. Christ hates sin. Christ isn't associated with sin and He wants to rid of my sin more than I can imagine. Let's be completely honest though, sometimes, for the moment, that sin is something we like.
Sometimes I like to worry about circumstances.
Sometimes I like to envy what others have been given.
Sometimes I like to give-in to how satisfied I would be if I could just give-in to that one thing I desire.
Sometimes people pleasing is easier at the moment than thinking about living for Christ....
...but after that "sometime" I am only separated from Christ and I can't see Him. I'm blinded by my sin. If I'm not willing to give everything to Him, I can't see Him.
You know the parable of the pearl?? In Matthew 13?? Check it out:
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it. Matthew 13:45
In order for the merchant to experience the Kingdom of Heaven (the pearl), he had to sell all that he had for that pearl. In order for me to experience Christ fully, to be able to experience an intimate relationship with Him where I can experience and see Him fully, I must give all that I have. I can not hold on to those sins, I can not worry about this world or worry about living for the people of this world.
I must keep looking to Jesus, and in order to do that, I can not give in to ANY sin. Any sin that I have clouds my vision and I can't experience the greatness of Christ. There is no excusable sin. In order to see Christ fully, I must give Him everything. Everything.
I can see Christ when I am not giving into that sin and am living fully for Him because I am able to focus in on who He is; however, if I have an ounce of sin in my life it's like I'm trying to see Jesus but I need to put on glasses or something.
So what has the Lord be teaching me? To keep looking to Him. In order to do that, I must live in complete surrender to Him.
Pretty blessed that He's willing to teach me. :):)
No comments:
Post a Comment