Saturday, August 1, 2009

Condemning and Encouraging

I am at a point of disgust. I am at disgust with myself and am at disgust with many of the relationships I am in and this is because of the sin of condemnation. When we condemn one-another, and point-out all of the sin we have with each-other (including in ourselves) and we do this not because of Christ or because of His love...we are living in sin. (Can condemnation really be in Christ's love? I think not. Correction and rebuking, yes, but condemnation?) I am being reminded of a few conversations I have had recently and all they have been are conversations of condemnation. With people I hold dearly, I cannot remember some of the conversations I have had with them where I have encouraged them or felt encouraged myself...this is scary!

I am reminded of a sermon I listened to a month or two ago and the pastor was talking about how the way we think about ourselves, or the person other people tell us we are, is very influential because that is often the person we become. This is scary because I am noticing how true it is. I am thankful and blessed because I have a lot of close friends and I notice I act differently around some of them because of the way that they think I am. I can think of a time or two when I was told that I lived a life of no grace, and all truth. I was told this as a matter of joking, but unfortunately, started to believe it whole-heartedly. Thankfully, later on, a friend approached me and encouraged me in battling that lie and commenting that was not true of life. Sad story short - when I am with that friend that did encourage me, I am more likely to encourage them and approach their life with both truth and grace...but when I am with the "only truth" friend I have become just that...only truth, and I hate that about myself...and struggle with condemnation in that.

So what's the point in me saying all of this? I condemn other people all too much and when I do so and it is not out of love...I'm sure that these people condemn themselves, and sometimes become a person who is NOT true of who they are if they have Christ. Likewise, I need prayer because I have felt condemned all too much and struggle with giving my life over to Christ, living as His child, and living knowing that my sin does not define me; nor am I who or what other people tell me I am.

My prayer is for encouragement...to encourage others and to even understand that I need encouragement myself. It is right to correct one-another in love...for sure (and I know I need that much of the time) but if all we're doing is condemning there is no encouragement! Also, correcting in love and condemning are not the same tasks and I think I need to learn that. I need to learn to encourage those around me in Christ because if we are not encouraging and loving one another it is a scary place for us to be. Let's face it...the world is a hard place to be as a believer, and as Christ followers we need each other and that definitely means loving one another and pointing each other to Christ!

"For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thess. 5: 9-11

PS Sorry, I know this is confusing, I was rambling, and I am not spell/grammar checking...
Hope it makes some sense!

1 comment:

  1. Let me remind you of a little something I found on fb...

    "February 17, 2009...
    Hi Laur,
    I want to thank you for being so encouraging tonight and pointing me to truth. I know you think that you're not so good at the grace part, but friend, I want to tell you that tonight you definitely demonstrated grace to me, and you told me exactly what I needed to hear through the love of our Father. You reminded me of who's in control all of the time, and reminded me that I need to give everything up to Him. Know that you consistantly remind me what it means to truly trust in Him, and you demonstrate His love. Your joy in the Lord is an absolute joy to see :) You are an encouragement to me, and I'm so thankful for you as my friend, and as my sister in Christ.
    Love you. :)

    2 Thess 2:16-17 ♥ "


    ...This, my friend is grace. YOU have constantly demonstrated that to me, by building me up and showing me His truth WITH grace. I can't express to you how grateful I am for your friendship, and for being my sister in Christ. I could keep going, but I won't on this blog ;)

    You should read a book called "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning.

    Let's hold each other accountable this year.
    I can't wait to live with you in West C... we're gunna have a blast ;)

    ReplyDelete